Monday 16 April 2012

handbags at dawn!

well not quite! I was inspired by another blog to make a handbag. I downloaded a pattern which looked quite straight forward but never having made one before I did have one or two issues. No surprise there hey! Checking my stash of fabric I found a Laura Ashley fabric I recently picked up, reduced, for the exterior of the bag, and some pretty quilting fabric I had left over for the lining. Once I had everything needed I was on my way.
Partly constructed with iron on interfacing to the exterior to stiffen it and fusible fleece attached to the lining to give a little bit of bulk. ( I originally tried normal fleece and attached it to the bag with spray adhesive, but that failed miserably as the spray stained the fabric fortunately I had enough material to cut another piece )
Now looking like a bag with the handles pinned in place. You can't see it but the zip is in place and a pocket  made from the outside fabric has been fitted to the inside.
et voila...this last pic is a better one for the colour. The only thing I am disappointed with is that once I pulled the exterior through the opening in the lining it became creased and I had great difficulty in getting the creases out. I don't know whether it is because of the stiffening or the fabric. Something to bear in mind if I make another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment