Thursday, 20 September 2012

humpty dumpty and other nursery rhymes

My niece Katie is expecting her first baby, which is actually due today! I had knitted a couple of things for the baby and I wanted to present them in a sweet way so I decided to make a nursery gift bag for the little jacket I had knitted. I had some lovely nursery fabric that I bought online and made this sweet little bag

I love the detail of nursery rhyme figures on the lower part of the bag

                                        one little piggy went to market

                                              Humpty Dumpty

        you can just see Hickory Dickery Dock on the left hand side

The fabric for the upper part of the bag is a lovely bright red colour with letters of the alphabet and numbers and stars, a perfect nursery fabric. I finished it off with this pretty trim. I am really pleased with the result and hope to make more of these bags to sell in my Etsy shop.
Let's hope Katy doesn't have to wait any longer for baby as I am pretty sure she is getting fed up with waiting!
What one needs when nursing babies is a rocking chair! And here is one I made earlier ( well I didn't make it so much as bought it!)

I have always wanted a rocking chair and when I saw this in a second hand shop in Needham Market I had to have it.

I intend to make a comfy cushion out of this fabric, I think I picked it up in Felixstowe a while ago, it will suit the cottage style I want to maintain in my home.

In the meantime a quilted throw and a ticking cushion made by me does the trick!

Saturday, 1 September 2012

home continued..

As promised I managed to finish the lovely home patchwork cushion. I chose the fabric I wanted to make the borders with, it was a fabric that I had used  in the patchwork mainly Petit Fleur by Lecien, I bought them as fat quarters from Quilter's Cloth (who have a fantastic range of quilting fabrics) and then added various other fabrics that I thought would work. In total I needed 13 different fabrics

It seems a lot of the fabrics I have are from Lecien, the hearts in the middle are made from the Durham range

There are also designs from Moda and Makower, all 100% cotton. The next step after attaching the borders was to iron some fusible wadding onto both the front and back, for the back I used an unbleached muslin and although this fabric is quite flimsy, adding the wadding gave it stability. Then it was simply a case of stitching them together.

Being a keen recycler I stuffed the cushion with the insides of a previously used cushion pad long ago discarded and sewed up the bottom et voila! I just love the way the colours all work together I am very pleased with the end result, in fact I am definitely going  to make another, but perhaps with a different mix of colours and fabrics, the truth is I have a huge selection of gorgeous fabrics to choose from!