Friday 20 January 2012

Shabby Chic

My home is a beautiful Edwardian cottage, with a good deal of the original features still in place, stripped pine doors, high ceilings, waxed floor and skirting boards, anything shabby chic suits it very well indeed. Which brings me to my latest patchwork quilt.
I absolutely love these premier Japanese fabrics by Lecien called 'Durham Anew' and designed by Barbara Riddle. The fabrics are soft to the touch which makes them easy to handle and have a romantic and vintage look. Perfect for that shabby chic look. I was lucky as I bought them as a fat quarter bundle which had a good selection, however when I needed to add to it I could only find selected fabrics as most of the the suppliers seemed to be American not UK based.
This was my first attempt at machine quilting and probably my last. I think the quilt was too big for my machine and it made it difficult to manipulate, in future I will go back to hand quilting, it takes longer but I think I like the end result better. I designed it to sit on top of a double bed and is made up of blocks of 4 x 4inch  together with 3inch strips and 12inch blocks. I did make a boo boo cutting them out as I did not take into account some of the seam allowances on the smaller squares...  :( oh dear...
still the finished quilt looks gorgeous I am very pleased with it and it suits the style of this old house.

3 comments:

  1. Have just found your blog, and your quilt is beautiful!!! The colours, and fabric are so shabby chic & will look wonderful in your home.
    Well done : )

    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, thank you for your comments. I am now following your blogs, just love your style, very much the same as my own. I used to live in Irthlingborough and my mum lives in Higham Ferrers so I am in the area quite frequently.
      Funnily enough we went to Jersey in September!

      Delete
  2. Just found this reply!!Thank you, and it's strange you used to live nearby!! I love Higham Ferrers & my fave shop is Cranberry House, have tou seen the craft section upstairs? It's great!!!
    Loved Jersey, and adore their ice cream!!! - Nomnomnom
    : )
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete