Saturday 24 August 2013

what exactly is the colour natural?

That is the question I should have asked myself before I ordered fabric online to make roman blinds for the spare bedroom! Could have been disaster as I thought natural linen was a cream colour, silly me it turned out to be a sort of greyish colour. I was so excited when I opened the parcel, I was expecting a linen fabric with a light cream background with a gorgeous pattern in raspberry. Disappointment at first, it wasn't horrrible, it just wasn't what I was expecting. I checked the invoice and yes this was the fabric I ordered. Three metres at £38 per metre guess I had better like it! And I do, I love it. It is a cabbages and roses fabric called natural meggernie raspberry, 100% linen and 2 roman blinds later....



Not wanting to throw anything away that can possibly be recycled, the existing blinds were deconstructed and I reused the blackout lining and the cord tapes which were already attached, saving me the time and trouble of having to measure and sew new ones on! I was able to use the cording system on the smaller blind, but the chain on the larger was broken and I couldn't buy a replacement chain, so had to buy a roman blind kit, that was a blow!


This firescreen is one of my latest finds and it is perfect for our Victorian fireplace. I am guessing it is 1950's but I don't know. It seems to be hand and not machine embroidered and is framed in lead. I found it in a secondhand shop in Ipswich full of vintage and retro stuff that had mostly been renovated. It's in a lovely condition and I love the colours and isn't Mr Peacock majestic?


And another one of my vintage finds, again I am not sure of it's age, but is in a very good condition, the chain on the back is a bit rough but you can't see that so I don't care! The mirror is bevelled and has a hardwood surround , probably mahogany or oak. It looks superb and totally at home in our front room.


I love rummaging through second hand, car boots and charity shops. You never know what you might alight on, something for the home perhaps or perhaps some fabric to add to an ever growing stash, which you just know, that sometime in the future it will be perfect for a make you have in mind, just like the patchwork throw I recently finished. I need, no, I want a new sofa but with too many animals who want to either rub themselves against it when they come in from a walk or need to sharpen their claws on it, I had to concede that it was not a good idea so this was second best. Made in 10 inch squares from curtain fabric bought in Laura Ashley sale and remnants from my stash. I lined it with 4 large squares made up from a green and white checked duvet cover and some curtain fabric picked up in a charity shop. Et voila! Transformed!


That's all for now, I have a new craft in mind and I will let you know how I am getting on!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda

    Lovely stuff as always!!

    Can't beat a bit of a rummage at a car boot!!

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. Blockout Blinds

    ReplyDelete