Friday 10 February 2012

Snow and Redwings

It's lovely to get up in the morning and look out the window and lo and behold there is crisp white snow, but that's where it ends for me! I get so excited when the snow is falling but absolutely hate it if I have to drive in settled snow. And of course this week the last snowfall has frozen and together with the black ice it makes for some pretty dangerous walking and driving. Having said that this weather does present some pretty photo opportunities and I dashed out with the camera and took some piccies of my garden.
                                               my back garden looking out on to fields
My mum has recently undergone a major operation and thankfully she was discharged this week so I have spent some time with her in Northamptonshire recuperating. One of the things she was really worried about was feeding the wild birds in her garden while she was in hospital.....to the rescue came my brother Ian, who whilst making sure the house was ok spent time stocking up the numerous bird feeders in Mum's garden. As the garden was so well stocked up with different types of food,Mum and I spotted a handsome bird we had not seen before feeding on the berries of a Malus Gorgeous tree, he was sorta like a Mistle thrush with a spotty breast but also had red feathers under his wings and white markings like eyebrows  around his eyes. We were excited and referring to hubby's trusty RSPB app identified it as a Redwing! Neither of us had seen one before, another box ticked!
I have been desperate to find something special to knit and have been scouring the internet for patterns and wool and I think I will knit either an aran cable throw or an aran diamond and bobble cable jacket, both patterns I have already in a couple of Sirdar pattern books. In the meantime I have loads of wool leftover from other projects and I am determined to make some use of it.Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment